1. Scout ship- The lightest of all spacecraft, scout ships are used for quick reconnaissance and are designed to slip past orbital sensors and defense systems. Although they do not have slipspace capability and limited fuel range, they do contain the best in stealth technology and spy equipment. Scouts are not meant for combat, but they do carry small laser cannons and are inexpensive to produce, so some smaller factions have adopted them as their standard military force.
2. Starfighter- The most common of spacecraft, starfighters very over a large spectrum of firepower, armor and maneuverability. Standard starfighter are the grunt of space forces, providing a balance of ship-to-ship combat weaponry and the ability to neutralize larger installations
3. Dropship/Carryall- Dropships are used to ferry a wide verity of cargo from an orbital installation to the battle-field on the ground. They often carry 12+ troops and have a minimum crew of one pilot and two gunners. Not only are they heavily armored, dropships are a major threat in aerospace combat because of their heavy firepower, and turrets that can cover most exposed sides of the ship. Carryalls are an on battlefield carrier for supplies and vehicles. Often held aloft via a rotorary wing mechanism or suspensor anti-gravity propulsion system, carryalls pickup damaged or derelict vehicles and return them to a forward command center for repairs. They are also used to carry supply crates to the soldiers at the front lines.
4. Bomber- This type of craft is most commonly used to provide carpet bombing of terrestrial targets or cruiser class star-ships. Bombers usually have light forward cannons to deal with smaller targets, and sport spacious bomb bays to bombard a target with high explosive ordinance. Bombers are not able to provide precision bombing of targets however, and that duty falls on torpedo equipped assault ships.
5. Gunboat- Gunboats are an uncommonly used craft, but are just about impossible to attack on ones own. Gunboats have both a pilot and a co-pilot, a rear gunner, and a minimum of two side gunners. They have a central fuselage often with several turrets. The sides of the craft often have modular turrets, with the turret operator's control space rotating with the gun. They are uncommonly uses because they are expensive, and put a lot of pilots and gunners into one vessel.
6. Gunship- An effective blend of dropship and assault ship, gunships can carry a small amount of troops for deployment, but their primary purpose is to provide an aerial combat platform in planetary battles, and an effective weapon for boarding enemy capitol ships. Gunships have heavy firepower and armor, but poor maneuverability, making them an easy target for more agile craft.
7. Assault-The most powerful starship that only requires one pilot, assault class ships are the most destructive in the galaxy, and can easily destroy battleships with minimal numbers. Assault ships have extremely powerful weaponry and engine systems, though not often maneuverable in atmospheric flight. More powerful assault ships such as the Orcus can take on capitol class ships, were as even most frigates do not have that kind of firepower. Most assault ships have an unguided bomb bay for covering an area in devastation. The most common use of assault ships, besides attacking key targets on cruisers, is precision torpedo bombing of planetary based targets.
8. Transport- transports are essentially large, less powerful dropships used to haul supplies and crew from different locations. The crew usually consists of a pilot, co-pilot, navigator and 3-5 gunners. They house several turret emplacements that can either be controlled by human or computer targeting systems. Transports usually are not used by larger factions, because they must always travel with an escort and are to often the target of pirate and raider attacks.
9. Freighter-Both Freighters and Frigates are often adapted for specialty purposes, such as cargo transfer, starship repair, defense platforms and medical facilities. Freighters usually don't have the space for a ship to dock, but can often moor with one. They are often deployed to deal with criminal infestations and low security slipspace routes. Larger military forces use freighters instead of transports to carry cargo
10. Frigate- Frigates are larger freighters that are capable of holding several ships in their hangers. They also operate a lot of specific purposes besides standard combat, such as missile platforms or emergency starship repair.
11. Battleship- Battleships are Large Support ships, giving support to cruisers and capitol ships, such as added ship to ship fire power, or added starfighter support transports. These ships, although they are the smallest of the Large Ships (1 mile of less), can turn the tide of a battle. The smaller military factions may use these ships as their primary Large Ships, but the larger factions may have thousands of these Large Craft.
12. Cruiser- The primary large ship to ship Assault Ships of most military factions, although they are capable of carrying many fighters. Many smaller military factions (such as the Black Diamond Mercenaries) may only have one or two of these ships at their disposal, but larger factions may have Hundreds to use.
13. Capitol- Capitol Ships are the primary naval assault craft of larger military factions, due to their cost and the time needed to construct them. These ships, if used in a group, are capable of completely annihilating a planets surface, which is called "Glassing". Capitol ships are also the primary starfighter carriers for larger Military factions, but they can also be used as heavy assault ships too. These ships are usually 5-9 miles long.
14. Juggernaut-Rare to see, Juggernauts are nearly impossible to be taken by surprise. Most Juggernaut class starships have 3-6 super weapon mounts such as gamma cannons or magma guns and supported by numerous turret emplacements. Juggernauts house enough people and starships to populate a small moon. The two most powerful are found in the Squadron Alliance. "The Silent-Avenger" and "The Pride and Prejudice" as well as the ships contained within them are capable of single handedly destroy most fleets who dare to stand in their way, and have been known to wipeout entire factions and planets. Juggernauts are only used by the most powerful of factions due to their expense and facilities required to handle their long construction period.
15. Dreadnaught-Only few in existence, dreadnaughts are the largest ships in the galaxy. Capable of carrying an entire planets population within its hull, anyone meeting one as an enemy has an assured death. Although several factions may have the funds to construct such a ship, even juggernauts take decades to build, and most dreadnaughts were built over centuries of prosperity. Only three have been documented, the "Eliminator" and "Destructor" class dreadnaughts of Karic, and a now destroyed dreadnaught of Xantheon, "Xcalubur". A Dreadnaught's firepower is incredible. While capitol ships require significant numbers to even glass a planet, dreadnaughts can completely destroy a planet with only a few volleys of fire. The Hyper Compression cannons on the Karic super dreadnaughts are capable of completely ripping through a planet with ease; however the only action a Karic dreadnaught has ever seen was the "Destructor" class during the assault on Xantheon Prime.